- 1 pound new or baby potatoes, scrubbed, halved if large
- 3 tablespoons Wild Mushroom and Sage olive oil, divided
- 1 bunch asparagus (about 1 pound), trimmed and cut in ½-inch pieces
- 4 ounces shiitake mushroom caps or other mushrooms, sliced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup chopped jarred roasted red peppers, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Fresh chives for garnish
- Place a steamer basket in a large saucepan, add 1 inch of water and bring to a boil. Put potatoes in the basket and steam until barely tender when pierced with a skewer, 12 to 15 minutes, depending on size. When cool enough to handle, chop into ½-inch pieces.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large (not nonstick) skillet over medium heat. Add asparagus, mushrooms, shallot and garlic and cook, stirring often, until beginning to brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove to a plate.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil to the pan. Add onion and the potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally and scraping up the browned bits with a metal spatula, until the potatoes are browned, 4 to 8 minutes. Return the asparagus mixture to the pan along with roasted red pepper, sage, salt and pepper; cook, stirring, until heated through, about 1 minute more. Serve sprinkled with chives, if desired.